Sunday, March 1, 2009

Race Day

The day started extra early, at 5:30 am, so that I could wake up and get ready to leave for downtown at 6:30 am. My friend, and running buddy Denise, came over so that Sam could just drop us off and not have to worry about trying to find a parking spot.

It was so cold, especially while waiting at the starting line! We picked a pace group, and I am so happy that we ran into my friend, Kristie, when we got there! It was great to see her, and it was nice to know that someone else would be suffering along with us!

I was impressed when we started to how many people were there (most of them in front of me). I was excited, and after what seemed just a few minutes of running, we were passing Mile 1. I gave Denise a high-five and knew it was going to be a great day!

Despite the wind and cold, I felt great the whole way. I had my running partner and my ipod, and time seemed to pass quickly. The best part was seeing people cheer for me along the way: my neighbor, Kendra came out around mile 5; my family around mile 9; and another friend around miles 6 and 10.

I can't even describe how great it felt to round the corner and see the finish line. After just starting running in August, I really never thought that I would be able to finish a 1/2, even after all my training! I suffered through back problems, tummy problems, illness, children's illness, etc, and thought about quitting many, many times. If it weren't for the encouragement of many people, especially Sam, I wouldn't have gone through with it and stuck it out!

Speaking of Sam, I just want to say a special thank you to him. He was awesome during this, and I know that sometimes it was just as hard on him as it was on me. He got home early from work on my running days so he could watch the kids, took care of them on Saturdays for my early long runs, listened to me and gave me encouragement and support when I needed it the most. He knew this was important to me, and for that I am thankful!

Here is a picture of the kids waiting to see Mommy, somewhere around mile 9. Sam said that, although they were freezing, they were troopers and were happy and excited most of the time.


Mommy arrives (I promise there were more runners!).


Ally finally gave in and took a nap while waiting for me downtown. The finish line area was packed, so unfortunately, they didn't get to see me finish. We met up about 15 minutes after the race.

We did it! Denise, my running buddy, and I pose for a picture with our medals!

A picture of all the signs Sam made for me, along with my medal and race number.

7 comments:

April said...

Awesome and congratulations! I just ran the College Station 1/2 marathon this morning with a friend and her dad...it was a first 1/2 for both of them, so that was exciting. Like you described for your run, ours also was COLD and WINDY windy windy. Not the good kind of windy!

Your kids are so dang CUTE!!! Cute post and cute pictures!

Pamela and Michael Sparks said...

Way to go Courtney! I am doing the White Rock Half in December or so I hope. I love your signs!

madalyn and cole said...

Congrats Courtney!!! We are so proud of you!!!

The Newton's said...

Way to go girl!! I am SOOOOO proud of you! You should feel very proud of yourself also!

Erica said...

I am so inspired!! Way to go.. I have always wanted to get back into shape and start running again. I would love to hear about how you got started and how you trained.. email me ericalisti@hotmail..if you have a chance with some thoughts!! Congrats!

Mindy said...

I am SO proud of you. I wish I could be a runner and admire all who stick with it and do. I love the signs!

Emily said...

Yay for you girl!!! I just ran a
5k and am training (maybe) for the Dallas White Rock 1/2 in December. You need to email and tell me more about your training and your back injury...as I have had the same issue!!! Congrats!!!